The Orca 20 Qt Cooler is a notable contender in the realm of outdoor gear. It’s a product that has garnered attention among campers, tailgaters, and outdoor enthusiasts for its unique blend of usability and durability. This compact yet sturdy cooler boasts a promise of long-lasting ice retention and rugged construction, making it a worthwhile investment for those who frequently venture outdoors.
In this Orca 20 Qt Cooler review, we delve into the specifics that make this cooler stand out from its competitors. We’ve evaluated its design, ice retention ability, durability, and overall value, providing potential buyers with a comprehensive overview. Whether you’re a casual adventurer looking for a reliable cooler for picnics or a seasoned outdoor enthusiast in need of a resilient ice chest for multi-day trips, this review contains the information you need to make an informed decision.
Orca 20 Qt Cooler Review Quick Guide
Here is a brief summary of the top five takeaways from the Orca 20 Qt Cooler review, for more details on each, continue reading below.
- Excellent Ice Retention: The Orca 20 Qt Cooler boasts an impressive ice retention ability, thanks to its roto-molded construction and integrated insulation. It can keep ice frozen for up to five days in optimal conditions, making it suitable for extended outdoor trips.
- Durable Build: The cooler’s construction is one of its most significant selling points. Made with roto-molded polyethylene, this cooler can withstand rough handling and heavy use without compromising its integrity.
- Convenient Size: With a capacity of 20 quarts, the Orca Cooler falls in the mid-size range, making it a suitable option for both solo and small group trips. It’s compact enough to fit in most car trunks yet spacious enough to hold several days’ worth of food and drinks.
- User-Friendly Features: The Orca 20 Qt Cooler comes with features that enhance its usability, including easy-grip handles, a secure lid gasket, and an attached drain plug for effortless cleaning. It also has a cargo net attachment for additional storage space.
- Value for Money: While the Orca 20 Qt Cooler may come at a slightly higher price point compared to some of its competitors, its exceptional quality and long-term durability make it a worthwhile investment.
Orca 20 Qt Cooler Review: Takeaways Explained
Now, let’s take a closer look at each of these key takeaways about the Orca 20 qt cooler review and explore what makes this cooler a top choice for outdoor enthusiasts.
Ice Retention Ability
The Orca 20 Qt Cooler is designed with integrated insulation, which helps maintain cold temperatures inside the cooler. The roto-molded construction also plays a significant role in keeping the ice frozen for extended periods. The cooler’s thick walls and sturdy lid trap the cold air inside, ensuring that your food and drinks stay fresh and chilled for up to five days.
One of the most impressive aspects of the Orca 20 Qt Cooler is its durability. This cooler can withstand rough handling, including being tossed around during transportation or used as a seat without showing any signs of wear and tear. Its sturdy build also makes it bear-resistant, providing added protection for your food and drinks in the wild.
The handle on the ORCA is nearly twice as wide as the stainless steel handle of the RTIC, giving it a robust appearance. Although the RTIC handle is unlikely to bend or break, the ORCA handle exudes a sense of durability that makes the entire cooler look like a formidable tank.
One notable aspect of this durability is the rubber t-handles, which are securely fastened. They are so tight, in fact, that they can be challenging to latch, which is a significant concern for me. Nevertheless, the cooler earns a few points for its durability.
Convenient Size/ Capacity
The Orca 20 Qt Cooler’s compact size makes it an ideal option for various outdoor adventures. It’s small enough to fit in most car trunks, making it easy to transport on camping trips, beach days, and tailgates. However, it’s still spacious enough to hold multiple days’ worth of food and drinks for solo or small-group trips.
The ORCA 20 is not only compact and durable, but it also offers convenient storage. Its shorter and wider design allows you to easily load gear on top when packing your car or truck. While it shares similar dimensions with the RTIC 20 Qt, it stands out from the YETI Roadie 24, Igloo, and Pelican in terms of its unique shape and size.
In terms of storage capacity, the RTIC 20 Qt stands out as the top choice among rotomolded 20-quart coolers, despite being the heaviest option. On the other hand, while the ORCA offers a decent amount of storage, it falls slightly behind in this aspect.
The Orca 20 Qt Cooler is designed with user convenience in mind. Its easy-grip handles make it easy to transport even when fully loaded, while the secure lid gasket ensures that no cold air escapes.
The drain plug attachment makes cleaning the cooler a breeze, and the cargo net provides additional storage space for items like utensils and condiments.
The cargo net situated at the back has proven itself to be incredibly convenient and valuable. During camping trips, the cargo net serves as an excellent storage spot for items like knives, bottle caps, or even your phone, preventing them from being misplaced.
The presence of a drain spigot on the side means having the option to simply unscrew the drain and let the water out is undeniably easier. Moreover, the ORCA cooler boasts two padlock holes on either side, allowing you to secure your cooler with utmost confidence.
Value for Money
Priced higher than some of its competitors, the Orca 20 Qt Cooler may seem like a splurge purchase. However, its exceptional quality and long-term durability make it a worthwhile investment for those who regularly venture outdoors. With proper care, this cooler can last you many years of adventures.
The ORCA 20 Qt truly excels in both functionality and innovation, making it an exceptional choice for any outdoor adventure.
- Stainless Steel Build: Constructed with a durable stainless steel hard side, offering a 20-quart capacity with a 5-gallon ice chamber.
- Extended Cooling: Insulated design ensures contents stay cold for prolonged periods, maintaining optimal temperatures.
- Cans Capacity: Accommodates 16 standard 12-inch cooler cans, providing ample storage for beverages.
- Vibrant Colors: Features a fun and bright color scheme, ideal for outdoor use and adding a lively touch.
- Convenient Features: Includes a removable ice pack and drain plug for added convenience when using and cleaning the cooler.
We earn a commission if you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you.
This insulated stainless steel cooler combines durability, extended cooling capabilities, ample can storage, vibrant aesthetics, and user-friendly features, making it an excellent choice for outdoor adventures and gatherings.
Common Questions About the Orca 20 Qt Cooler Review
Let’s address some of the frequently asked questions about the Orca 20 Qt Cooler review:
How many cans does the ORCA 20 hold?
The ORCA 20 cooler has the capacity to hold up to 20 cans, with the added convenience of being able to add ice on top. However, it’s important to note that a full load of 20 cans in the ORCA 20 will weigh nearly 40 pounds, which can make it challenging and cumbersome to carry.
Additionally, the Orca 20 Qt Cooler can accommodate most standard wine bottles.
How much ice does the ORCA 20 hold?
The ORCA 20 Qt hard cooler has a capacity of 22 pounds of ice, but it doesn’t leave much room for anything else. For overnight or weekend trips, I suggest purchasing a seven-pound bag of ice to ensure the contents remain cold.
How do I clean my Orca 20 Qt Cooler?
Cleaning the Orca 20 Qt Cooler is a simple process. First, remove any remaining ice and wipe down the interior with mild soap and water. Rinse thoroughly and let it air dry before storing. For tougher stains or odors, you can use a mixture of warm water and baking soda to scrub the interior.
Are there any downsides to the Orca 20 qt cooler review?
- When it comes to portability, the ORCA 20 Qt is on the heavier side, weighing 18 pounds when completely empty. In comparison, the YETI weighs 13 pounds, and the Igloo weighs 10 pounds. It’s evident that carrying the ORCA can be quite challenging, especially when it’s fully loaded.
- Although ORCA offers various accessories such as seat pads, baskets, and ice blocks for their larger coolers, they have limited options for their 20 Qt cooler. However, they do provide a separate attachment for a plastic cup holder, as well as an attachment for a fishing pole, which is particularly beneficial for shore and pier anglers.
Video 20 qt Orca Cooler Vs. Yeti Roadie
To further compare the Orca 20 Qt Cooler review with its competitors, you can also check out this video. It features a side-by-side comparison of the features and performance of the ORCA 20 Qt Cooler and the YETI Roadie cooler.
After analyzing the Orca 20 qt cooler review, we conclude the Orca 20 Qt Cooler is an excellent choice for those in search of a reliable, durable, and user-friendly cooler for their outdoor adventures. Its ice retention ability, sturdy build, convenient size, and value for money make it a standout product in the market.
Whether you’re planning a day at the beach or a week-long camping trip, this cooler is sure to keep your food and drinks chilled to perfection. With this Orca 20 qt cooler review, we hope that if you’re in the market for a new cooler, be sure to consider the Orca 20 Qt Cooler in your list of options.